Eligibility rules allow you to define an arbitrary rule set for participation in a competition as a coach or a player. Coaches that do not qualify will not be able to access their teams, and players who do not qualify will not be available to be assigned to teams.
Only webmasters, registrars, and competition managers in the player administrator role can create and assign eligibility rules.
Creating an Eligibility Rule
Rules are created in the report builder. Any report can be saved as an eligibility rule:
- Coach eligibility rules must be Volunteer reports
- Player eligibility rules must be Registered Children reports
- You do not have to create the rule yourself to assign it to a competition; any authorized user under Access Control above can create one.
Once you have created a report with the desired rules, select Save as Eligibility Rule and give the rule a name - that name is how you will later assign the rule to one or more competitions.
Reports saved as eligibility rules are automatically refreshed every four hours. For instance, if you create a report of all Safe Haven certified volunteers for 2015 and save it as an eligibility rule, someone who was not certified at the time you saved it but later becomes certified will automatically become eligible after the next four hour interval.
Assigning an Eligibility Rule
Under Competition Setup on the Competitions menu, select the eligibility rules tab and you will see all eligibility rules created by all authorized users. Save the desired rule to the selected competition.
A competition may only have one eligibility rule for players and one for coaches; because the rule can be as complicated as the report builder can make it, any 'AND' and 'OR' rules should be handled there.
- Q: I edited a user's record to make them eligible to coach according to the rule I set up and I don't want to wait four hours for them to gain access to their team. Can I force the report to refresh?
- A: We will be adding support for a manual refresh very soon.
- Q: Who (if anyone) can circumvent eligibility rules?
- A: Rules only apply to access granted to user from a coach assignment. If the division head of BU10 is also a coach in BU10 and is made ineligible, he or she will retain access to all teams in BU10 through the division director role. If the division head of BU10 is a coach in BU8, however, he or she will not retain access to that team.
The current system of regulating access to the referee scheduler will be replaced with eligibility rules. For the time being, it is not possible to assign different rules by division, and the referee scheduler requires that distinction.