The inLeague team builder module is a basic administrative utility that attempts to automatically assign players to teams based on their average rating. It is meant to serve as a 'first pass' tool when building teams.
Players whose family members are head coaches, co-coaches, or assistant coaches on teams in the player's division will be automatically assigned to those teams regardless of rating.
- Active team: A team that has been created by a division director or administrator and that has not been marked inactive under division management.
- Competition: A single 'competition' or 'program' consists of one or more divisions with registered players in an active season. A player may have only one team assignment per season in each competition, e.g. one assignment in a 'Reagulr Season' competition and one assignment in a 'Travel teams' competition.
- Player rating: A player's average overall rating across all seasons in the inLeague database for which they have a rating. Please note that only the overall rating is used, even if additional ratings are stored.
- Age balancing: An option that will cause the team builder to try and distribute age groups evenly. With this option disabled, the team builder performs a single pass over all unassigned players and attempts to balance each team's average rating. With age balancing enabled, the team builder performs one pass per age group, such that evenly distributed ages will take precedence over balanced teams.
The team builder may be used by a division director (for their division or divisions) or a player administrator (for any division).
- Set up teams. Configure the number of teams in the desired competition under Division Management. If not enough teams exist, create teams using the 'Team List - Activate & Create Teams' function. If too many teams are defined, set some inactive.
- (Optional) Assign coaches to each team. Coaches' children are always assigned to the same team as the coach, so if the coach is not assigned, their player(s) will be placed according to their rating rather than with their family members.
- Access the Team Builder. Under the Division Directors tab, access the Team Builder by selecting Team Assignments, selecting the competition and division, and checking the radio button for Team Builder.
- Players per team. Enter the desired number of players per team.
- Select Options. By default, inLeague will perform Age Balancing and will assign the children of any coach with a team in the active division and competition to their family member's team. You may also indicate whether you would prefer to use the player's lifetime average overall rating (default) or only their most recent rating.
- Review distritbuion. You will see a preliminary display of player assignments. Assignments are not confirmed until you click 'Save Assignments.' You may re-run the assignment algorithim by clicking 'Redistribute Players' instead.
Q: I have already assigned some players to some teams. Will the Team Builder count their ratings when adding to teams with existing assignments?
Q: How do I manually make or alter team assignments outside of the Team Builder?
A: From the Team Assignments option under the Division Directors menu, select the Team Assignments option instead of the Team Builder option.